You may be thinking that arranging your home according to an age-old Chinese system is not for you, but you may want to reconsider that belief. There are plenty of elements in this practice that are completely common sense, can help you enjoy your home more, and don't cost anything.
Feng Shui is a practice based on the idea that our homes are a mirror of what's happening inside us. The purpose is to properly align your environment to harmonize your energy with your home's energy.
Here are some simple ways to improve your home's feng shui:
1. Clear Your Clutter. We have been hearing a lot about this first step lately: Get rid of everything you do not love in your house. Clutter-clearing is a time-and-energy-consuming process that will feel like therapy. But once you get started you are guaranteed to be happy with the results. Do not skip this most important step; it is essential for creating harmonious house feng shui energy.
2. Ensure Good-Quality Air and Light. Air and light are two elements that are essential for good feng shui energy (called Chi) in your home. Open the windows often, introduce feng shui air-purifying plants, or use an air purifier. Allow as much natural light as possible into your home, and consider using full-spectrum light bulbs in some fixtures.
3. Slow Down the Energy Flow. If there is a direct line of sight between the front door and the back door, it means the chi (or energy) is shooting through the house too quickly. Instead of having it fly straight out the back door, it should move gracefully and evenly around your whole home. You can slow the chi down by placing a patterned rug on the floor, artwork on the walls, or even a round entry table.
4. Keep the Path to the Front Door Clear. Since the front door is the main portal through which energy (or chi) enters your home, it is very important that it is well designed and functional. From the outside, make sure the main entrance is clearly lit, well-marked, and the address visible. On the inside, you want to make sure you're not walking directly into a wall. A good idea is to install a mirror by the front door to remind yourself to be aware of expanding the opportunities in your life and not to feel limited.
5. Clean the Windows. The windows symbolize your eyes to the world. We want to be able to see and experience everything that the universe has to offer us. Find some old newspaper, grab a bottle of vinegar and water and clean away the grime. Open your eyes and brighten your space.